Stem Cell

Stem Cell Registry Will Facilitate Finding Donors

All people between the ages of 18 and 50 can come to the center and register to help children suffering from cancer.
All people between the ages of 18 and 50 can come to the center and register to help children suffering from cancer.

O ne of the obstacles on the way of successful stem cell transplant is problems in finding a good match for the recipient.

“There is only 25% chance that siblings offer one another a human leukocyte antigen match (or simply a tissue type match) while in 75% of cases patients need to find a match from unrelated donors,” Dr. Azim Mehrvar, head of MAHAK Specialized Pediatric Cancer Hospital, was quoted by ISNA as saying.

Last month, MAHAK opened a stem cell registry to facilitate the search for donors who are a match to blood disorder patients — the first of its kind in Iran.

The best transplant outcome happens when a patient’s HLA and the donor’s HLA closely match. HLA is a protein – or marker – found on most cells in a body and is used to match with a donor for bone marrow or cord blood transplant.

All people between the ages of 18 and 50 can come to the center and register to help…